03 October 2008

Absurdity

My life is one big absurdity at the moment.

Mr de Elba was at a conference until late last night and brought home an extremely large box of something called "Krispy Kreme Donuts" - ghastly and sticky and sweet and something we Just. Don't. Eat. Except Sonny Ma-Jiminy woke up early, helped himself and served his sister. So that was breakfast, and now I have to change the cot sheets as they are smeared with sticky icing and donut crumbs.

Half my kitchen is packed in boxes in my living room right now. Which explains why this morning after "breakfast," Sonny Ma-Jiminy was running up and down the hallway with a tin of tomatoes in his hand, and Smoochy Girl was following him with a bottle of soy sauce in her hand, and both of them were laughing and laughing. It was The Running Of The Foodstuffs, and I ran the risk of getting trampled or gored as I tried to squeeze past them.

Every conversation I have right now about what job Sonny might like to do when he is older (e.g., a carpenter or a doctor or a shopkeeper) ends in his firm decision that when he grows up, he will be a Wiggle. And while I am outwardly encouraging him, inwardly I groan and hope that this is a phase he will grow out of. And then I realise that he would earn more being a Wiggle than in any of the other professions I've offered him. There are no flies on him.

8 comments:

Hippomanic Jen said...

"The Running of the Foodstuffs" - I love it.

And maybe you should throw into SmJ's ambition the fact that when he becomes a rich Wiggle, he should look after his parents by buying them expensive gifts like houses or luxury cars.

Jen said...

Now all that is absurd and very funny. I can just see your kids running with all the 'foodstuffs' b/c mine would be doing the same thing and Quinn would be in the corner trying to get it open to 'paint' me a lovely picture.

Anonymous said...

Tsk. And further, tsk!

Krispy Kremes are to die for.

Luckily, I don't buy them too often. I already have a big enough beer belly, don't need to add the sweets belly on top of that.

Allegro ma non troppo said...

Our babysitter last night brought a packet of marshmallows for my kids to eat some at bedtime. Hmmm. They found the packet again in the morning and ate them for an impromptu breakfast before I woke.

tinsenpup said...

The company car would have to be an attraction, wouldn't it? I'd certainly consider trading my dignity for a shiny red convertible.

Tracy P. said...

Oh, if he makes it, you'll all be "havin' fun at the beach"!

Nauntie Lush said...

See Nana Tantrum was not at all bothered by the running of the halls with glass bottles of soy sauce, but she is bothered that Bacon puts his own bread in the toaster and pushes the button down to toast it! She is concerned though that maybe SMJ needs to get out of Australia for a bit though to be exposed to some crappy American TV so that he will want to be something less - um - ridiculous than a Wiggle!

Mum-me said...

My son wanted to be a Wiggle, way back when he was in pre-school. In fact, the only way I could get him to dress up on 'dress-up' day was to put him in black pants, red t-shirt and let him take his toy red guitar (Murray was his favourite.)