23 June 2010

From their personal blogs ...

Buzz

I was saying something about the Glad Wrap, and Buzz said he knew all about it. It and those other blokes. After much brain-straining, he remembered where he'd heard of it.  It was from a story in his new Bible - Gladwrap, Meshach and Abednego, he said.
- - - - - - - - - -
Buzz had been counting quietly to himself.
Buzz: Mum, I can count all the way up to ... um ... 54!
Me: Oh wow, that's great.  What about 55?
Buzz: 53, 54, 55 ... oh yeah.  I can count all the way up to 55!
Me: Awesome.  What about 56?
Buzz: Oh yeah.  I can count up to 56.
Me: How about 57?  And 58?
Buzz: Yeah, 58.  I can count up to 58.
Me: Can you count up to 59?
Buzz: Oh yeah.  I can count up to 59, yeah.
Me: What about 60?
Buzz: No.  I can't count up to that. 

Mr de Elba, just back from getting a haircut: "Look at my hair, Buzz.  Do you notice anything?"
Buzz, nodding sagely: "Mm-hmm."
Dad: "What do you notice?"
Buzz: "It's like a Jedi?"
- - - - - - - - - -
Driving home from dinner one night, Buzz was extremely tired and irrational.  He became very upset because Woody's car seat was encroaching on his space and made his seat sit slightly askew.  He couldn't flip out his drink holder on the inside arm of his seat, either.  When I explained calmly how it was the addition of Woody's car seat to the back row that made this happen, Buzz lost it.  "See?  This is why we shouldn't have had another baby!" he roared. This is the only instance of Buzz ever being unhappy about the addition of a third child to the family - it had never happened before and it's never happened since. 
- - - - - - - - - -

Jessie

pumpkin = "punquin"
asparagus = "biscarragus"
- - - - - - - - - -
Jessie: Let's put my Spotty Dogs undies on today.
Me: Actually, it's not Spotty Dogs (dogs with spots), it's Scotty Dogs (dogs from Scotland.)  SCOTTY dogs.
Jessie, wrinkling nose: Skocky Bogs?
- - - - - - - - - -
Sore nose:  "Ow!  My Schnozz!"
- - - - - - - - - -
"Buzz, stop doing that!  I will gowl at you and skeem at you: GRRR-AAAAH!"
- - - - - - - - - -
"I don't say segitoes anymore.  I say mos-quit-oes!"
 - - - - - - - - - -
Jessie had a tick on her arm, and was screaming while her parents were trying to gently remove it.  Buzz got scared with Jessie's screaming, and he started crying too, loudly.  When it was all over, Jessie shouted petulantly at Buzz: "You can't cry!  It's MY tantrum!"
- - - - - - - - - -
Peeking around the door at her mother: "Oo! What are you doing in here, feetheart?"  (sweetheart.)
- - - - - - - - - -
Sweet Pea = feetpea
difficult = giffidult
- - - - - - - - - -
Standing in the front of the trolley at the supermarket, arms raised high: "Yee-haa, cowboy!"
- - - - - - - - - -
"I need to suck my wrap!  I'm getting Fetty Mouth (a sweaty mouth.)"
- - - - - - - - - -
Jessie had remembered a conversation from a week ago, but all the details were wrong.
Pointing to the crack beneath the dishwasher:  "Mummy, remember that monster that went in there?  The monster that was a cucumber that had two legs and some things coming out of its head?"
Me: "What?  Oh!  In there.  Yes, the words I said were 'It was a centipede and it had a trillion legs and two spikes coming out of its bottom.'  You sorta remembered it.  It did go in there, anyway." 
- - - - - - - - - -

Woody

6 months

  • sitting
- - - - - - - - - -
9 months
  • crawling
  • using differentiated tongue movements, and said "bla bla bla" in the car
- - - - - - - - - -
10 months
  • saying "Did-did-did" for Daddy
- - - - - - - - - -
11 months
  • saying "Izzy" for Jaz/Jazzy (the dog)
  • whispering "siss" for "fish" when he sees Jessie's fish mobile 
  • has had 7 teeth for some time now
- - - - - - - - - -

10 comments:

Ro said...

Oh my goodness. Your children are priceless. Do you ever stop laughing? :)

sewfunbymonique said...

Sweet & funny! I miss those days. My daughter spoke the same language as yours. :)

Tracy P. said...

LOVE this! "You can't cry, it's MY tantrum!" :-D

Joy said...

Thanks for sharing their personal blogs with us. You have quite the conversations in your house. Love how their personalities shine thru.
Love how she takes ownership of her tantrums. How dare he...

So cute.
♥ Joy

Hippomanic Jen said...

I can't believe that your youngest child is obviously from New Zealand. How did THAT happen.

Givinya De Elba said...

Do you mean how he uses /i/ for the short a vowel? Nah, the /i/ sound is the one that isn't present in
NZ English, usually being centralised. Woody hasn't being spending too much time with my BIL, never fear!

veiledturnip said...

Love them all! So funny! Keep them coming!
'targe'

Swift Jan said...

Oh Jessie you are so cute!! "It's MY tantrum" cracked me up!!

CynthiaK said...

LOL! Oh, your kids are the best. So funny! And so smart and creative. :)

Of course, I must know: what does Jedi hair look like exactly? Photo, please. :)

Givinya De Elba said...

Ah yes, "hair like a Jedi." I believe this was hair that reminded him of his characters in his Lego Star Wars computer game. Although how Mr de E's haircut looked like a smooth plastic Lego man's hair, I just can't fathom.