21 December 2009

Can they DO that?

Whenever I think of the lovely house we left behind when we moved, I get a little weepy. 

I LOVED that place! 

When I think of the house and the people in it and the yard and the wire fences over which I used to chat with my elderly neighbours, I get warm fuzzy feelings, and I hope the new people are both enjoying it and treating it well.  Here is a photo Nat took of the giant back yard before we left:

I am still having dreams that we are back there and the new people have changed it up so much that it's unrecognisable.  In my dreams, that makes me feel slightly happy - it means they are loving the place.

But this week, I received a Christmas Card from one of my elderly neighbours and in it she slipped a note which said "...many changes over the back fence.  They have cut down all the trees and put in more gardens, a big shed up the back and a swimming pool too.  Also a little dog and high fences all around."

Say what?

Okay.

I guess.

I mean, it's their place now, isn't it?  So they can do what they want, can't they?  And wow - a pool!  And that dumb ole ogre of a tree is gone, and nice gardens put in.  When they bought, they said they were thinking of a little dog, I'm glad they got one.  Not so sure about the fence.

But they're making changes, so they must be enjoying it.  We know the front has changed a bit, and we have no idea what manner of mixing around they've done to the inside.  And it is, after all, THEIR house, and they may do what they like to it - that's the way it works, isn't it?

So why am I just a little sad?

7 comments:

Swift Jan said...

A POOL?!!! Wowsers!!

It's ok to feel sad. It was your house for ages!

I dont dare drive past our old place. I wondre if anything drastic will ever happen there?

((hugs)) for you my friend...

Alison said...

I would be sad too--that is a lot of changes.

Hippomanic Jen said...

Hmmm. That is sad, even if it is their house. Trees take years to get shady (I'm just about to start with some here and know it will be many summers before we get the benefit); pools are a hole in the ground into which you throw huge amounts of time and money; and high fences these days are generally those hideous coloured tin things that kill neighbourhoods and don't let the breeze through. They are idiots, but sadly it IS their house. And obviously they are enjoying it.

Anonymous said...

I do understand. I found out just last week that the 'new' people that bought our place vut down the tree that mum and I planted before dad died. Feels quite odd, doesn't it.

sewfunbymonique said...

I am always having dreams about past houses. I do fear they will make drastic changes. I've been able to go back into both and they are very much the same, but I still worry they will tear it down and rebuild or something. That happened to my childhood home. Wish I could still see it!

Allegro ma non troppo said...

Well, obviously you can feel jealous that you never got to use a pool that was in your own backyard. Yes, ok, EX-backyard.

I know that tree was big and messy, but established trees are a godsend that are worth their weight in gold. Well, in hot climates, anyway. I wish I had a big tree. I guess they don't mix well with pools, though.

Sassy Britches said...

I'm with Hippomanic Jen. In full. Big idiots, but dang it all , it IS their house. I'd be a bit bummed myself, too. So HUGS to you.