26 January 2012

I'm not sure if that's Unaustralian

Tonight we had a barbecue dinner at the house of some friends to celebrate Australia Day.

But Mr de Elba went to a concert in the big smoke, I did only an 82% good-enough job wrangling my Little Guys, in a fit of disorganisation I brought takeaway noodles instead of sausages or steak to put on the barbecue and claimed it was "a nod to Australia's multi-cultural heritage," and in my disconnectedness after playing with then serving dessert to the children I failed to realise the adults were all waiting before eating their own dessert and bogged into a lamington without using a plate and created a winter wonderland with the coconut. Then as the behaviour was getting ratty among the children we made a hasty getaway as soon as we finished dessert.

Now I am wondering - was that Unaustralian?

6 comments:

Givinya De Elba said...

Now that I type it all out, I realise that failing to show up, multi-cultural food, enjoying the grub a bit too much and knocking off early are all pretty Australian, really.

As you were.

Swift Jan said...

You are right, it's all completely Australian! :)

I love Lamingtons!

Mamma has spoken said...

What? No fireworks, no fire crackers, no sparklers, no hot dogs, hamburgers, potato salad, watermelon???
Ops! Wrong country.
Never mind.......

Hippomanic Jen said...

Parenting three alone - I think you did well unAustralian or not!

And the winter wonderland from the coconut is so lamingtonish that it must be Australian.

Andi said...

I had to look up lamington....

Crazy Sister said...

I've often thought of Australia Day as a bit like Fourth of July, only a hundred times lazier.

National Nap Day, that's what it is.