25 January 2009

Smoochy Love

Again, thankyou for your comments and thankyou Mimi for your story. I will try to keep it real, letting you know how I am but also trying to find the Joyful in things, as I have been recently.

I have one story that is about something lovely but it does involve a lot of crying. I will post it and then I'll schedule a few posts that are NOT about crying because I've found a few blogable moments recently.

So, to the crying. The other day I was bawling my eyes out. It was probably a combination of everything: the move, the loneliness as Mr de Elba was away all week, and feeling completely overwhelmed with love as I watched my two kids playing together. They often fight a lot, but this particular day they were running together from side to side of the living room, Sonny holding Smoochy's hand and jogging slowly as she ran as fast as her little legs could carry her (her legs only come up to his knees.)

I sat on a loungechair with a box of tissues and cried and cried and cried. Then I became aware of Smoochy standing in front of me.

"Kay?" she asked me. "Mummy? Kay?"

I said I was okay, but I was having a cry.

She took a tissue from the box and gave it to me saying,"Nuh one?" ("Another one?")

And then, because she's 1¾ years old, again and again. "Nuh one? Nuh one? Nuh one?"

"Thanks sweetheart," I said. "That's plenty."

A short pause, and then her little voice again: "Amy." And her little doll appeared on my lap. Satisfied, she said "Happy" and walked away.

I love her.

11 comments:

Louisa Claire said...

So so sweet. I've been where you are and I promise, the other side is coming and it's such a lovely place that is waiting for you! With love xo

tinsenpup said...

You can just imagine her thinking, 'My work here is done. What more could anyone want?' Lovely.

Dee said...

So simple, Amy makes her happy, so she will do it for you too. I love it when they do that.

Long dark hair, blue eyes said...

Great post! She sounds like such a cutie-pie

I think you should just stop fighting it and make January the month of crying related posts - it could be a special challenge just for you. See how many (not how few) post you can write about or containing crying!

Sassy Britches said...

Oh, I love the idea of crying posts! That might be a good thing!

And oh-my-goodness I'd be crying too if my little one was trying to take care of her mummy like that. They say little kids are a lot more in tune with people's feelings than adults are; it's just that they're not mentally up-to-speed in terms of how best to comfort because that's beyond their realm of understanding at that point in their development. But who cares? Their innocence with offerings that make THEM happy is enough to perk us right up!

Swift Jan said...

aww she is gorgeous!

Hippomanic Jen said...

That is just beautiful. How sweet.

Allegro ma non troppo said...

I remember once while I was feeding my newborn boy and crying because of the whole Breastfeeding Debacle, he stopped and peered suspiciously up at me. I gave the tiny little guy a watery smile and sobbed, "Mummy's ok," and he relaxed and went back to feeding.

I was never sure if that moment to him meant, "Oh, I'm glad Mummy's ok," or, "Yeah, whatever, Boob Woman."

Jen said...

Oh that is just so sweet. I am crying now too.

Alison said...

How precious. I used to feel guilty when I cried in front of my kids. Now if it happens I tell them I'm just sad but I'm going to be okay. They do love to help us feel better, just like we do for them!

stefanie said...

sweet smoochy!