Left: Buzz on his first day of Prep last year. Right: Buzz on his first day of Year One this year.
Can you find 10 differences in the pictures above?
1. The shorts on a prep boy cover his knees. Over the next 12 months, they cease to do that.
2. In Prep, a boys shirt comes quite low on his torso, but markedly less so by the next year.
3. A Prep boy's shirt is clean, and a Year 1 boy's shirt is rarely so.
4. Ditto socks.
5. A Prep boy wears the regulation school hat. By year 1, the floppiness of the brim has frustrated him so much that he's graduated to a generic hat with a stiffer brim.
6. In Prep, he wears his first pair of school shoes. In Year 1, he wears his third. Or fourth. Or something.
7. The garden behind a boy has grows considerably between the first day of Prep and the first day of Year 1.
8. The mother of a prep boy actually took The First Day Of Prep photos on the second or third day of school, but by Year 1, she's organised enough to photograph many children, have all the lunches ready and bags packed on the actual first day.
9. And she is much more smug for it.
10. On the first day of Prep, a boy is lovely and little to cuddle. On the first day of Year One, there is much more of him - he is longer and leaner, and gives tighter cuddles before racing off to "do his thing."