04 April 2010

Easter

I've enjoyed my daily Bible readings leading up to Easter. Some things have struck me:

1. The people who accused Jesus. How esteemed they were in their society! How religious! How righteous, how proper, how exalted! And look what they did! But would I have done the same? Especially if the crowd was hyping me up on emotionalism?

2. They accused Jesus of "many things" (Mark 15:3-4.) Oh my, what on earth else, I wonder? How many trumped-up charges? Some ghastly accusations that didn't make it into the Gospel accounts? How humiliating for an innocent person to bear!

3. One of my recent readings asked me to "Spend time now enjoying what Jesus has won for you - an intimate relationship with God." It struck me anew how easy it is for me to just pray, and how that easy access to God was won by Jesus' death on the cross. As I was marvelling at that, I heard my son Buzz praying out loud after he finished his bedtime stories. A huge wave of thankfulness swept over me as I realised that Jesus didn't just win this for me, but for those Mr de Elba and I love most in the world. That He gave that gift to them, our little loves. Wow.

4. Mark 15:40-41 tells of a few women who had followed Jesus and cared for His needs. That sounds like my sort of job! I love cooking for people and caring for whatever 'needs' need caring for. Imagine getting to do that for Jesus. How cool. I hope I would have done that if I'd been there.

5. Joseph of Arimathea ... now I've been meaning to blog about the name "Joseph" for a while.

It's been bothering me how every second library book or TV murder mystery seems to have a "Joseph" for its antagonist. I think Joseph is a great name, and I am a bit miffed to see that it's getting sullied with all these murderers with that name. Come on, fiction writers! What's so evil about the name Joseph? Huh? HUH?

Anyway, I have been encouraged over the last few months by reading of some of the Biblical Josephs. Good blokes. Joseph with his technicolour dreamcoat whose story starts in Genesis 37, Joseph the earthy father of Jesus, and this guy - Joseph of Arimathea who donated a tomb for Jesus' body. A good guy, I think.

Although my readings say, "Joseph must have been tormented over his own part in the event that led to Jesus' death (Mark 15:43). As a "prominent member of the Jewish council" he must have been one urging for Jesus' death (mustn't he?) Why the backflip and donation of a burial site? Maybe he had a huge change of heart. What do you think? Goody, Baddy, or Baddy-turned Goody?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And now: three de Elba kids on Easter:


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mr de Elba: Hey Buzz, did you have a good day at school?

Buzz:
Yep.

Mr de Elba:
What did you do? Any craft?

Buzz:
Yep. But I didn't finish it. I brought it home to finish.

Mr de Elba:
What does it look like?

Buzz:
Umm, it's a giant bottom. It turns into a card.

Mr de Elba: A giant -? I don't think -?

Buzz:
Yeah! It was! A giant bottom, with an Easter Bunny on one side. It's in my bag, here, look!


Mr de Elba:
Oh! Yeah. Wow. A giant bottom with, yes, with an Easter Bunny on one side.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a similar note:

5 comments:

Emily Sue said...

The pinkish paper was possibly a bad choice for Buzz's card. In hindight. (boom boom... thanks, I'm here all week...)

Joy said...

I'm just laughing my head off over here in Texas about Buzz calling his project a giant bottom. That is so funny.
Your little video of Jessie eating her hot cross bun is precious. I can't believe how big sweet Joseph is. Love his bunny ears. I think the name Joseph is just perfect for him. You posed some good questions there about that Joseph. I'll have to read up on it and think about it too.

♥ Joy

Swift Jan said...

ROFL @ the bottom card! Too hilarious...

As for Joseph.. I'm thinking he must have had a change of heart. I mean seriously, after seeing an innocent man crucified surely you would have a change of heart?

Lindethiel said...

"I'm not eating anything" hehehe I had a good giggle :D

I'm with swift Jan, he must have had a change of heart, how could he not?

Tracy P. said...

So I had to go back and ponder Joseph of Arimathea. You asked for it. I'm voting goody. It says he "was himself waiting for the kingdom of God". It would be interesting to know the linguistic reason for the use of a reflexive verb, but the "himself" makes me wonder if it sets him apart from the others as having a different perspective. Another example of this (we just had it in our Bible study a couple of weeks ago) is Gamaliel in Acts 5:29-39. He was respected as a pharisee, and yet he used his influence to diffuse harsh persecution against Peter and the other followers of Christ. He seemed to have a wisdom about him that left him open to the possibility that God was doing a new thing, and that when God chooses to do a new thing there is no stopping him. Perhaps Joseph was much like that. Imagine being called to a position like that in the midst of a hostile bunch of pitiful leaders, and yet having God allow you to command their respect. May your Joseph have just that kind of character. But when he takes that sort of a leadership role, I suggest he reserve the ears for lighter moments. He will be loved for them. ;-)